Cherry Blossom

Cherry Blossom
My favorite tree flower

Tuesday, October 9, 2012

Why do schools want to enforce dress codes and uniforms?


 


Well, the obvious answer is that some children dress completely inappropriately and why some parents allow it, is beyond comprehension. However, the debate over dress codes and uniforms seem to be one that is always relevant and has been for what seems like forever. I find this topic interesting, because I know that when I think about “dress codes” the first thing I think about is how to break it. And when I think about “uniforms” I automatically think, “Cute, now how can I stand out?” Being someone who values individuality, I know and understand where children come from when their identity feels like it is being taken away for challenged, but at the same time I do recognize the need. Enforcing these types of rules is a very a big task and one that often lands debating parties in a court room. 

After going over some of the issues I’ve come to realize why it is such a hot –topic. Because it encompasses larger issues such as, school improvement, freedom of expression, and “culture wars,” the debate seems to become much more important than what children should wear to school. Dress codes, are much harder to enforce because you’re dealing with so many individuals, however, uniforms (after it becomes a requirement), can still be accessorized according to style, and many schools offer a variety of color pallets and clothing items that can be worn within uniform codes.  
Although, students protest because of individuality and self-expression (understandably) the goal is for their own good.  The goals help prevent the forming of gangs, to encourage discipline, reducing peer pressure to buy trendy clothes, to improve attendance, to lessen economic and social barriers, to increase school pride and sense of belonging, and to identify intruders. However, many parents, like their students, believe that is a violation of freedom of expression, that it poses a financial burden to poor families, causes students to be bullying targets, or that it is simply a Band-Aid on school violence. 


I personally, have no objections to uniforms and dress code policies because I understand the needs and agree with the goals, but I do not agree with overly strict disciplinary action to simply enforce rules. Tulane Joint Union High, a California high school, proposed on November 23 back in 2011 on a new dress code which would prohibit students from wearing piercings, distracting hair (like Mohawks), and ripped clothing. Here I feel social norms are being forced upon students and that this is a direct violation of self-expression (not wants to fit in a box). 

Elizabeth Dover an eighth grader from Causey Middle School in Mobile, Alabama had her rivets ripped out of her pants for simply wearing corduroys with rivets. A female custodian did the job with some scissors after, the Dover was given an option to wear the pants for the day with a suspension or have the rivets removed. Now, if I was this girl’s mother I would be furious! The question posed in this article is, “are you trying to educate or humiliate?” Don Stringfellow, a principle at Burns Middle School in West Mobile believes that “one of the strengths of the uniform policy is the bit of leeway given each school.”  He also states that, 'You want to maintain the integrity of your uniform policy, but you don't want to be the clothes police."



 Here are the links to my findings:
1.  www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/11/23/school-dress-code-propose_n_1110222.html 
2. nospank.net/causey.htm
3. http://www.greatschools.org/find-a-school/defining-your-ideal/121-school-uniforms.gs?page=all
4. Bill's Blog: http://blog.adoniram.net/2010/08/dealing-with-school-dress-codes-big.html

No comments:

Post a Comment